What causes elarged lymph node and fainting?

Posted on Wed, 28 May 2014 in Infections
Question: Elarged lymph node and fainting. Any ideas? My teenage daughter fainted this morning. It was about 10 minutes into her getting ready for the day. She was dizzy for 1-2 minutes before actually passing out. She was out for 15 seconds. After she came to, sweat appeared above her lip. Within 10 minutes she seemed completely fine. I thought it was low blood sugar, and made a mental note to make appt with her physician tomorrow. About an hour ago she noticed an enlarged lymph node under her jaw close to her neck. She sees her dentist regularly and had zero cavities at her last cleaning only 5 months ago. With her fainting and a swollen lymph node im starting to worry. Ive already left message with dr. office for appt. Any idea what the culprit is?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be due to anything serious.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
An isolated fainting episode in a teenager is unlikely to be related to any serious underlying condition. Also, it is common to see associated sweating with an episode such as this. She may have had a low blood sugar if the faint was soon after getting up. The lymph node may be the early sign of a respiratory infection developing and swollen lymph nodes are fairly commonplace even when there is no apparent illness.
I think a visit to your physician will reassure you and I think you will find that this is an isolated incident and your daughter has no further episodes.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA
Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist