What causes ectopic heart beats while walking?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Hello again, dear Sir!

As you know about all my troubles, I would like to say I have successfully caught two things on my latest Holters. One is bigeminy and/or trigeminy. Other is ectopics.
However the ectopics come when I walk or train a bit. This should be of concern?
So I guess then there are only two thjings left to find out:
Why do I get ectpoics (extrasystoles) upon physical straining, and why I sometimes get very high heartrate (aprox 180-200 bpm) . The high rate is set off by extrasystoles/bigeminy/trig. And it comes out of the blur. Example I get this feeling of popcorn popping in my chest for ONE second, and immediately it goes up to XXXXXXX rate for either a couple seconds, or maybe minutes. I dont get dizzy, but once I had it, I was exhausted and found it very hard to walk stairs.
Wonder if my lack of stamina, or that I have no power in my muscles can be related?
Example: Walking stairs, my legs get lactic acid very quickly. Same with any muscles. Holding a phone for long time too, or brushing teeth makes my muscle exhausted. Might that be heart related?
Regardeing the sudden onset of high heartrate, should I ask for a loop recorder?
Are that signs of danger? Never been caught on holter. Still, the doctors says it anxiety. One cardiologist says he doesnt think its anxiety.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

I am glad to have you again on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that it is quite normal to have an increased heart beats, and even ectopic heart beats (including bigeminy, trigeminy and extrasystoles).

This phenomena is related to the activation of the sympathetic nervous system, leading to increased circulating levels of adrenaline and noradrenaline. It happens in every healthy individual and does not indicate any heart disorder.

Of course this reaction is more visible in sensitive individuals like you.

The lack of regular physical activity (sedentary life) and the lack of energy (in case of vitamin deficiency, adrenal gland dysfunction, thyroid dysfunction, dehydration, etc.) could contribute in all this clinical scenario.

Anyway, a loop recorder would help record those episodes and determine their nature (if it is a complex cardiac arrhythmia or just extrasystoles).

I would also recommend checking some blood lab tests:
- cortisol plasma levels for possible adrenal gland dysfunction
- vitamin D levels for possible deficiency
- blood electrolytes, including calcium and magnesium.

Regular physical activity (Yoga, aerobics, recreational sports) would help improve your situation.

I would advice avoiding straining physical activity.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 minutes later
Thank you very much again!

Do you advice avoiding straining physical activity because it may be dangerous, or just for the reason that i shall not get the discomfort of it?

I would like to do activity, I like getting sweaty and use my body when it is possible, but should I avoid it Sir?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

I adviced avoiding straining physical activity, because it could trigger increased heart rate.

I don't think that it is dangerous for you, as all your previous cardiac tests are normal.

But, as you are a little sensitive to physical activity, it would be better performing regularly mild physical activity, which is better tolerated by your muscles, compared to straining physical activity.

You an try to increase gradually the amount (time and intensity) of physical activity, in order to help your body get accustomed to it, without experiencing muscle pain or increased heart rate.

You will see after some time, that your body reaction to physical activity will improve.

In this regard, you should know that sport persons have a lower basal heart rate and blood pressure, compared to persons who have a sedentary life.
This is related to the chronic changes that occur in our body during regular physical activity.

It has also some benefits against anxiety too.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Let me know about everything!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 9 hours later
Thanx!
That is something I have been wondering about myself. I am very sedentary, but still have low bloodpressure. Also I dont put on weight. I SHOULD have high bloodpressure, and be fat. But am the oposite.
I am at a loss what can be wrong.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again, dear XXXX!

Being sedentary doesn’t preclude being with a normal body weight, although overweight is the most likely encountered body profile.

Blood pressure follows usually the same trend as body weight.

Overweight contributes in the appearance and maintenance of high blood pressure values.

The other side of the problem sounds also true: properly controlling and lowering body weight largely contributes in controlling a previously elevated blood pressure trend.

In other words I consider your body weight and blood pressure status in a harmonic relationships and considering your refer of being also sedentary, it may be deducted that your body metabolism appears well shaped and your overall clinical conditions seem good.

Having a clinical background without hypertension, obesity, dyslipidemia, diabetes or smoking habit predisposes for a longer and healthier life.

Nevertheless, I strongly encourage you to further optimize your daily life-style profile and be more active.

It doesn’t matter whether you run a lot or even participate in competitive sports: the most important issue is to keep moving your body in a convenient way (aerobics, yoga, cycling, swimming, etc).

At least 30 – 60 min a day moderate physical activity could be highly beneficial for the overall well-being.

That’s my opinion!

Wishing you all the best!

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 11 hours later
You are as usual fantastic.
I feel i have got XXXXXXX answers and there is some doctors that has apoligozed because they have treated me like it was all anxiety.
Now i need to catch this sudden onset of insane heartrate
I guess it is svt or some other form of tachy Which needs to be caught before treated.
Do you have any thoughts on what type it might be, og seems to be triggered by ectopics or a very short run of very chaotic beats before shooting up to XXXXXXX pulse. However i can't remember if it slows down gradually or immediat. I think it actually is gradually. But that.might be because i am a bit Anxious from the attack so my anxiety keeps the rate up for å while, but in reality the attack was sudden onset and sudden stop?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Thank you for the additional information, but unfortunately many types of cardiac arrhythmia mimic this clinical situation.

For this reason, I can not suggest any type of cardiac arrhythmia, which could cause your complaints.

The loop recorder would help very much in this regard and determine exactly the type of cardiac arrhythmia during each moment.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Let me know about everything!

Dr. Iliri