What causes early pregnancy symptoms with negative UPT?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 9 Jun 2014 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: Hi, I'm experiencing the following early pregnancy symptoms: sore/tender boobs (which I have never experienced with PMS), change in nipple color, slight nausea/extreme hunger, frequent urination, unusual soda craving (I normally don't enjoy the taste of sodas), runny/stuffy nose, upper back ache, increase in body temperature, and unusual constipation. However, I felt ovulation pain May 10, and believe I am 12 days past ovulation, but I'm still getting a negative on pregnancy test. I'm new to tracking my period and didn't intend on getting pregnant, but with all of the symptoms, it's hard to think otherwise. My last period started 4/18 and ended 4/23, they're also usually slightly irregular. Is it possible I'm pregnant and miscalculated ovulation?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms suggestive of early pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

As you are already one month past your last cycle, you can get a HPT with a fresh early morning sample of urine. If, as you said, you ovulated on the 10th of May, you cannot expect to read a urine test now. Instead, you should go for the estimation of serum beta-hCG titres which are more specific as well as sensitive.

A trans-vaginal sonogram can also aid in the diagnosis and finally, a check up with a specialist is a must.

You do have symptoms suggestive of very early pregnancy, but, unless documented, a conclusion cannot be drawn.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarification. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 17 minutes later
Thanks for your answer! Very helpful, however, when do you think a urine test would be able to read by hcg levels?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About 3-7 days after the missed period.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

A home pregnancy test usually reads well when performed 3-7 days after a missed period. A fresh early morning sample is the best. Estimation of serum beta-hCG levels can be done as early as a week before the period or 10 days post-ovulation.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 8 minutes later
You did, but I honestly have no idea when to expect my period. Sometimes it's monthly like clock work, but sometimes it runs a week or so late.. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions!! You are truly helping put my mind at ease.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detialed below.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

If you have never been late by more than a week, your cycles are almost regular and you can repeat the urine test after a couple of days. Else, you can also get a HPT three weeks after the last intercourse or get the blood test two weeks after the intercourse.

Hope you now have a clear idea of what to do. Please do contact if you need additional information. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 16 minutes later
Last question, I promise! (So sorry to be a bother!) If I really feel that I am pregnant due to the complete novelty of all symptoms, should I go ahead and start taking prenatal vitamins or does it matter if I'm already taking a women's multi-vitamin. Thanks again so much! Your review is going to be amazing!!
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can take supplements.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

Yes, you can go ahead with nutritional supplements before you get the proper test. They are safe. You may switch to prenatal vitamins once the diagnosis is established.

Hope your doubt has been clarified. Please get back for any more information. I will be available for help.

regards,
Shanti.V.