What causes early morning headache with vomiting?

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: My mother has continuous headaches specially when she get up in the morning. She throwed up yesterday and fainted. Doctor did the CT scan and said she needs to go through a surgery because she has tumour
in her head. I have attached report.
I want to know what it is? how serious it is and is surgery the only option we have? Can it be removed without surgery by medicine or any other procedure?
threw up
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is the only one option.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Clinically, morning headaches accompanied by vomiting indicate increased intracranial pressure.

This is caused by obstruction or narrowing of cerebrospinal fluid by tumoral mass in your mother's case.

From MRI report results that there is a big tumoral mass at ceebellopontine angle compressing adjacent brain structures, most probably a benign Meningioma.

Regarding to measurements, surgery is the only one option to remove it.

Radiosurgery ( a noninvasive procedure ) is reserved for lesions smaller than 3 centimeters, or in tumoral remains if surgery failed to remove the tumoral mass totally.

The tumor needs to be treated soon, because increased intracranial pressure is a potentially dangerous condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical