What causes earache and auditory hallucinations?

Posted on Thu, 22 Jan 2015 in Child Health
Question: My son is 6 yrs old. He has been complaining of ear ache for the last 2 days. He was also saying that he could hear some sound like a water bubble inside his ear. Not sure if it indicates ant infection. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be suffering from common cold.Other possibilities to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Your son could be suffering from common cold which often causes blockage of Eustachian tube which connects the inner part of the throat with the middle ear cavity. The blockage of this tube causes pressure difference in the middle ear which can be responsible for certain abnormal sounds as well as pain in the ear. Other possible causes are accumulation of ear wax or foreign body in ear. It is less likely to be due to an infection.

I would insist that you visit a ENT specialist and get the child examined. He would be able to pinpoint the cause and treat accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician