What causes ear pain?

Posted on Tue, 21 Oct 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Ear pain
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ear pain-oral analgesics & per ear antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns.
I would like to ask you few more details.
Since when are you having ear pain?
Any other symptoms associated with ear pain like ear discharge?

Here I am giving possibilities of ear pain.

The First possibility is Otitis Media (Middle Ear Infections),commonly seen in children and also in adults secondary to cold or lung infections.

the second possibility is Ear Pain from a Ruptured Ear Drum-due to acoustic trauma,direct trauma by cotton bud, barotrauma(pressure injury due to air travel).

the third possibility is Swimmer's Ear (Otitis Externa) due to eczema,dandruff,diabetes.

the fourth is perichondritis.- cartilage inflammation due to ear piercing or external trauma.

the fifth one is impacted cerumen(wax).

I suggest you to to consult an ent surgeon,for proper diagnosis and if necessary requires oral antibiotics and wax solvents.

In the meantime, over-the-counter ibuprofen and acetominophen is usually effective to releive pain. ear drops also can be used, which contains a local anesthetic, similar to lidocaine or bupivicaine, which can be inserted directly into the ear, to relive acute pain.

some dot's-do not allow water per ear during bath, avoid swimming, chilled drinks.

Kindly get back to me with details, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 35 minutes later
If it were something bleeding internally wouldn't my first vomit have been red
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Since when are you having ear pain?

the fifth one is impacted cerumen(wax).

some dont's-do not allow water per ear during bath, avoid swimming, chilled drinks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist