What causes ear pain?

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My left ear has been hurting. I feel like I must have scratched the inside which cleaning it. The pain has been there for 2 days now and it feels swollen from inside. I am on Amoxicillin 625 (twice daily). Started 12 hours ago and using Ciprofloxacin drops. However the pain is something I have never witnessed before. Is this common? How long will it take to get better.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. If you have scratched the ear while cleaning it yourself, the swelling and pain should subside in a couple of days. Ear scratches heal in a few days at the most.

2. There is no painkiller in your medication. You may take one for its anti-inflammatory effect.

3. An ear examination will settle the issue. A few conditions need to be ruled out:
a. Impacted ear wax
b. An eardrum perforation
c. Fungal infection (Otomycosis)
d. Herpes Zoster (rash or vesicles)

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist