What causes ear pain, headache and cough along with pressure in the chest?

Posted on Thu, 16 Nov 2017 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I had the same symptoms for 2 months and don't know what to think of them ? I have flash pains that last 5-10 seconds throughout my body. I have throat tightness that comes up at night that doesn't last long. I have two ears that crackle when I swallow with ear pain. I get headaches. I have a cough that comes and goes, but I have clear lungs, and clear nose but I have to blow my nose a little throughout the day. Sometimes I get chest tightness.
I'm trying Flonase but it doesn't help all my symptoms. The flash aches throughout my body are particularly disconcerting.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
We should rule out bronchitis for your chest symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HealthcareMagic.
I can understand your concern.

In my opinion, we should rule out bronchitis for your cough and chest tightness.
So I'd suggest getting done PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) at first.

Early bronchitis can present with clear lungs.

For flash aches throughout the body, I need more information.

So please let me know-
1. Do you have diabetes or hypertension?
2. Do you smoke?
3. Do you have a headache every time you have these flash ache?
4. Do you have pricking sensations while having these aches?

Please reply back with the answers to above-asked questions, so that I can guide you better.

I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 28 minutes later
Dr. No I don't have diabetes, or hypertension, and I do not smoke. I do not have a headache everytime I get these flash pains. My ENT doctor thought I might have silent reflux so I stopped caffeine-which may lead to the headaches..on the third week now. But right now I have a random pain inside my left thigh, then I will get pain aches in my forearms then they go away.. I'm concerned these symptom come and go, but have stayed around for two months. I don't have diarhiaa (sp), I don't have fever, I don't have vomiting. I was thinking of lyme disease but that doesn't fit.why would it last for so long, and why do the symptoms come and go, come and go.no swollen lymph glands.No std's, no hiv, I have had herpes for 25 years. I would really like an allergist immunologist, and/or infectious disease person to weigh in, since it doesn't seem to go away by itself. The pain on the side of the throat which comes and goes bugs me.no stds no hiv, ive had herpes for 25 years. I would really like an allergist, immunologist or infectious disease person to weigh in on this since it wont go away. The flashing pain in my throat and the chest tightness bugs me.
Brief Answer:
Possibility of post herpetic neuralgia is more likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
By your history and description, possibility of post herpetic neuralgia is more likely.
Herpes virus damage cutaneous nerves.
In some individuals, this nerve damage stays for lifetime and give rise to such neuritic pain.
There is no exact reason for flash type of pain. But this type of pain is more associated with neuritic pain.
So please let me know
1. Do you have residual skin scars after herpes?
2. Which drugs you had for herpes?
3. Exactly before how many years it was cured?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 8 hours later
No Dr. I do not have any skin scars from herpes, and use zorivax/acyclovir when I feel an outbreak coming. I haven't had actual sores in probably over 10 years. I just get tingling.

I have no rash that would show I have shingles.

I've had 8 weeks of extreme stress that I am just getting over, worrying about these different symptoms. How long will it take my immune system to fully recover ?

Ive also lost 20 pounds in the meantime.Is there a way you can consult an immunologist or infectious disease specialist ?

Per my original request ?
Each of these symptoms comes with a timer. The cough and chest tightness comes in the late morning, the intermittent throat tightness comes at the end of the day. The muscle pains, forearms, and inside left thigh throughout the day.Since I reduced the underlying stress, and the symptoms remain, was it the stress that was causing the symptoms to begin with ?
Brief Answer:
Possibility of stress and neuritic pain is more likely.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
I have specialization in immunology as well as infectious diseases.

But honestly speaking, I don't think about immunological disease in your case. Still you can get a chest X-ray and PFT done to rule out infectious disease issues. If you have done tests, please upload reports for me to view.

Possibility of post herpetic neuralgia along with stress is more likely.
I also don't think about active infections.
Please let me know why you think about immunological and infections diseases for your symptoms?
And yes, stress can worsen neuritic pain.
Have you tried pregabalin or gabapentin for flashing aches?

Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 41 minutes later
The pain in my leg and arms is not painful, and comes without a rash, its just mysterious. Does shingles not present with a rash ? Also the slight pain in my throat that comes and goes is mysterious, and lingers, eventhough I have eliminated my causes of stress.

Does it take a while after the stress is gone for the symptoms to dissipate ? Since I had acute stress with panic attacks, claustrophopia, and chest tightening, and headaches.

For example, nothing lasts it comes and goes, what is the cause of this irregularity ?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Irregularities of symptoms suggest non organic pain.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Irregularities in symptoms itself suggest non organic disease.
Non organic means not related to any particular organ related illness.
If you have some disease, your symptoms must be persistent not episodic.
Right?
You are mostly having neuritic pain which is aggravated by your stress level.
If you are dealing with high stress you show more symptoms.
If you have lesser stress you are feeling fine.
Just give this a thought and tell me if this is true.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 47 minutes later
Yes, this is true, and is the first time someone said that to me :-). It explains 90% of my problems. Thank You !!!

Now, if I had a little bronchitis, what is the remedy ? Can I just wait it out ?

Also, do you have a remedy for the ear crackling every time I swallow. Do I have to wait that out (going on for two months), or are there ways to alleviate. Will Flonase help ? It's not bacterial..

Thank You !!
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, Flonase won't help.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
No, Flonase won't help in this.
In my opinion, you should not pay much attention to these symptoms.
Just divert your mind from these symptoms.
I really want to know
1. Have you ever consulted psychiatrist?
2. Have you tried pregabalin or gabapentin?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 35 minutes later
Yes Dr. I'm seeing a psychologist.

No one explained the difference between organic and non-organic disease.

I haven't been sick in 30 years so I did not want to ignore symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Are you taking any psychiatric drugs?

Detailed Answer:
It's good that you are consulting psychiatrist.
This will help you a lot.
Are you taking any psychiatric drugs?
I am asking these much because I am really concern about you.
Drugs along with counseling sessions are very useful in symptomatic relief.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 11 minutes later
what do you think would be better for me. hydroxyzine or citalopram. Should I take them right before bed ?I also could be having a "let-down" after high stress for 8 weeks..
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Citalopram is better.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Citalopram is better over hydroxyzine.
And sorry to say but I can't understand what you are trying to say.
What is this 'let down' meaning?
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist