What causes ear pain and sore throat while recovering form flu?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 13 Jan 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi there,

During October for about 4 weeks I was working in a smoky environment and caught a terrible flu. Felt rough but recovered. While I was recovering however in November I suddenly began to experience pain in my ears (it felt like pressure) and my voice box became sore.

For example it feels like there is a burning in the back of my throat when I talk, and if i talked a lot it would feel swollen, like something was almost trapped in my throat.

I've also at times felt lethargic and hot/light headed. I did see a Doctor, who about 4 weeks prescribed a week dose of antibiotics citing a viral throat infection.

However, it's been 4 weeks now, and while some symptoms have cleared, my throat / voice box has still retained the same symptoms. I do also at times suffer from heartburn.

My main concern is to compare whether my symptoms are just viral or whether I should be more concerned as to check whether there is anything my serious (throat cancer/ larnyx.)
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Simple sore throat

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The mentioned symptoms seem to be due to nothing more than a sore throat which could be either due to viral or bacterial cause. They also have an allergic component associated. Gurgling with lukewarm water is the mainstay of treatment and antibiotics are not essential.

I do not think that it is due to throat cancer. Any cancer is associated with tumor formation. Unless that is the case and unless there are plenty of enlarged lymph nodes, you need not worry. I have checked the attached images and I can see nothing concerning.

Let me know if I could help further.