What causes ear pain after using Debrox?

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I used Debrox to clear up my wax build up but I think it made it worse. It's been a couple weeks now and I get ear pains, occasional ringing, and I now have lots of mucus build up and congestion. I've never had an ear infection in my life so I'm not sure if I have one and I don't have any allergies. Did Debrox cause this?? If so, what do I do now?

Side note: My boyfriend also used it at the same time I did and he has similar side effects as well.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam and thanks for using healthcaremagic,

Debrox cannot cause pain in the ear. It can sometimes cause itching if you are allergic to it.

The commonest cause for earache is ear infection.
2 types of infection of the ear can cause pain. -
1) Infection of the middle ear.
2) Infection of the ear canal.

You have to see a doctor for the exact diagnosis.

Since you have ringing , my guess is middle ear infection.

You can take a pain killer like tylenoil or ibuprifen after checking your dose.

You can also instill decongestant nose drops like otrivin.
Thses drops help to open the eustachian tibes which in turn helps to ventilate the ear and controls the infection. Instill 3 drops in each nostril 3 times a day and follow it up with steam.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad