What causes ear infection post head injury?
Hyperacusis following the head injury. Rule out SCDS or a fracture.
Thank you for your query.
1. This is Hyperacusis and is known to develop after a head injury among other causes.
2. Get an HR(High Resolution) Temporal Bone Scan done on a multi-slice CT Scanner to rule out SSCDS (Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence Syndrome) or an Inner ear fracture. Bone is not seen on an MRI.
3. Upload an Audiogram (Pure Tone Audiogram), an Impedance Audiogram (Tympanogram) with Acoustic reflex tests, an ABLB (Alternate Binaural Loudness Balance) test result, a SISI (Short Increment Sensitivity Index) test, TD (Tone Decay) and SDS (Speech Discrimination Score).
4. Recruitment is a phenomenon where hair cell damage in the inner ear makes loud regular soft sounds to be experienced as loud sounds.
5. Another condition is endolyphatic hydrops. This will have other symptoms such as fluctuating hearing loss, tinnitus and fullness in the ear. This will respond to medication (such as acetazolamide) and a low salt diet
6. Central (Brain) injury can also cause hyperacusis. An fMRI (functional MRI) may be of help here.
7. High dose IV steroids, Transtympanic medication, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) are some of the treatments that may be tried.
I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Swelling around the eye post head injury
- Post head injury headache
- Frequent ear infections causes
- What causes hissing in an ear infection
- Earache post head injury
- Will meth cause ear infection
- Squishing sound in head post head injury
- Causes of repeated ear infections
- Causes of adult ear infections
- What causes an ear infections
- Can an energy drink prior to blood test increase RBC levels ?
- Unstable,unable to walk independently and properly,on Vertinal and...
- Flu symptoms,throat and roof of mouth sore,coughed bright red blood,any...
- Tingling sensation along right side face,3-4 times daily,sensation when...
- Pain,stiffness,swelling in knees,X-ray,arthritis developing,knee...
- Amoebriz dosage for adults and children
- Eustachian tube dysfunction, ear virus, sick on planes, scopolamine,...
- Pea sized nodule in tongue, painful, affecting speech, tooth pain, jaw...
- What causes jawline lumps?
- Double bypass, respiratory failure, nose bleeds, selective embolization