What causes ear infection on outer ear?

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 11 Jul 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: ear feels hot to touch and hurts feels like I've got fever crusty scabs inside
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
external ear infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query. In my opinion, you might be having infection of the outter ear.
This can occur because of use of qtip tip, nail injury, hot humid climate etc.
If I were your treating doctor, I would have prescribed penicillin antibiotics + anti inflammatory medicines for 5 to 7 days.
All these are prescription medicines, so I would advise you to consult with the doctor, and discuss my views with him.
Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 2 hours later
Thanks but I don't use qtips as I am afraid they would always push ear wax further down in ear canal. I have a little syringe that I use and q-tips for outer ear. If not better tomorrow I will get appt. with my Dr. Could I have a ruptured ear drum or sinus infection?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No sinus infection or ruptured ear drum.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your follow up query.
Inmy opinion, sinus infection causes middle ear problems of ear block and ear pain. But doesn't cause hot ears. .
ruptured ear drum occurs because of 4 reasons.
1. Q - tip injury
2. Tight slap over the cheek.
3. Head injury.
4. Middle ear infection.

Rupture of ear drum must be assessed clinically.

As per your symptoms of ear pain, hot ears with fever i feel probably you might have external ear infection.

Empirically you can take anti inflammatory medicines like paracetamol + diclofenac combination drugs.
I would advise you to consult with the doctor and get tested and discuss my views with him.
Pleased to help you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj