Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
184 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes ear infection on outer ear?

Answered by
Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 937 Questions

Posted on Fri, 11 Jul 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: ear feels hot to touch and hurts feels like I've got fever crusty scabs inside
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
external ear infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query. In my opinion, you might be having infection of the outter ear.
This can occur because of use of qtip tip, nail injury, hot humid climate etc.
If I were your treating doctor, I would have prescribed penicillin antibiotics + anti inflammatory medicines for 5 to 7 days.
All these are prescription medicines, so I would advise you to consult with the doctor, and discuss my views with him.
Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 2 hours later
Thanks but I don't use qtips as I am afraid they would always push ear wax further down in ear canal. I have a little syringe that I use and q-tips for outer ear. If not better tomorrow I will get appt. with my Dr. Could I have a ruptured ear drum or sinus infection?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No sinus infection or ruptured ear drum.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your follow up query.
Inmy opinion, sinus infection causes middle ear problems of ear block and ear pain. But doesn't cause hot ears. .
ruptured ear drum occurs because of 4 reasons.
1. Q - tip injury
2. Tight slap over the cheek.
3. Head injury.
4. Middle ear infection.

Rupture of ear drum must be assessed clinically.

As per your symptoms of ear pain, hot ears with fever i feel probably you might have external ear infection.

Empirically you can take anti inflammatory medicines like paracetamol + diclofenac combination drugs.
I would advise you to consult with the doctor and get tested and discuss my views with him.
Pleased to help you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Nail injury

doctor1 MD

Hello, I just wanted to check if I need to go see a dermatologist for one of my nails. When I was a child, I smashed my finger and had to have my...

doctor1 MD

Step nail on wednesdayI started abtibioticks and got tetanus shot sunday foot is much swollen still and it feels pressured . I have antibioticks...

doctor1 MD

Hi, So I got fingered by my boyfriend a week ago that followed by burning, itching and some pain inside and outside my vagina. It stopped for few...

doctor1 MD

I have been having pain inside of my vagina during intercourse that comes and goes. It's usually not with penile intercourse, but it is with...

doctor1 MD

i bruised my nail because i hit it really hard, i have fake acrylics but the nail underneath is very bruised. it has been for far over a month but...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I had a 10 year old boy run into my foot back in August. He stubbed my middle toe pretty hard and it hurt for awhile and turned a very dark...

doctor1 MD

1) 55 y.o.WF, 5 3 140lbs. i stubbed my toe 3 months ago; no bleeding , swelling , redness or pus . nail is attached at cuticle base, but not the...