What causes ear discharge after ear wax removal using hydrogen peroxide and q-tip?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I just cleaned out my son's ear with peroxide and a q-tip. His ear began to bleed after I finished. Is this something that needs immediate medical care? How do I know if I hurt his ear drum or not? He is autistic so he doesn't register pain like a typical kid.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He needs immediate care as this is an ENT emergency.

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you!

Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully worked through your case, and I can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I assure you not to worry as I will take care all of your medical concerns.

Don't put any drops or creams in his ear at your own. I think there is some damage to the tympanic membrane (ear drum) or the external auditory meatus of your son. The bleeding is due to the same. You can't judge if you hurt his ear drum or not. It is the expertise of a trained medical professional who can see with an Ottoscope if the ear drum is intact or not.

I preferably suggest you to take the baby on urgent basis to an Ottorhinolaryngologist for complete evaluation and treatment. He is the person to handle such issues with success.

Hope I answered all of your health concerns . If you have further questions, feel free to contact me anytime. Always write my name in start of your question in future, and I will get back to you in no time. If satisfied, please give your generous 'five Star rating' and don't forget to 'Close the discussion'.

Have a wonderful time ahead.

Best Regards!
DR. HANIF
USA

Click the link to open my profile. Click 'Ask Me a Question' anytime for super fast expert medical help!!!
https://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-muhammad-hanif/70199

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Hanif 58 minutes later
What is the treatment if there is ear drum damage?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends upon the extent of the damage.

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you back with the follow up query!

First of all we have to see if there is the damage to the external ear canal or it is trauma to the eardrum causing its perforation.

Eardrum perforation is never tried to treat with ear drops as they may cause hearing loss with ottotoxic drops.

Avoid water going into ear.

Oral antibiotics are used and the small perforations heal up at their own.

In large perforations, surgery may be needed called Tympanoplasty.

Have a wonderful time ahead.

Best Regards!
DR. HANIF
USA