• question-icon

What causes ear congestion followed by a cold and flu?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have fluid in my ears after having a chest cold and possibly some kind of viral infection. This has happened to me before and I had gotten an antibiotic and some kind of steroid pills to treat it but the past couple of times I went to the doctor to get treatment they tell me the best thing to do is take decongestants or antihistamines and use Flonaise and it will go away in time. I also have a weasing with my breathing but they say my lung sound clear. My ears have been blocked and I have a loss of hearing due to this for 3-4 weeks now. I am a 56 year old male. Can you offer any advice?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care only.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Ear congestions followed by a cold and flu involving upper airways is very common. If there is no fever , use of antibiotics is not judicious. Steroids medications are very potent anti inflammatory medicines.You are gettng steroid sin nasal form of flonase which is more than enough . i prefer normal NSAIDs as their anti inflammatory effect is more than enough to help the resolution. Rest assured all these symptoms subside on their own even if you don't do anything with in 2 weeks. Some times it may take more than that. If the symptoms persist then talk to an otorhinolaryngologist and let them run some tests to assess hearing loss.

Nutshell, decongestants, topical anti inflammatory meds and supportive care is all you need. Add more fluids and warm comforting beverages to your diet and wait and see. The symptoms will resolve on their own.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan