What causes ear ache?

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 1 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been suffering with frequent flu like symptoms (mainly nausea and fatigue; to a lesser extent more frequent bowel movements and earache/headache). I never get the full blown flu meaning I could always hold food down. The symptoms last between 2 to 4 days. Years ago I may of gotten them 4 to 6 times a year. In April 2014 they had progress so much I was getting them 4 to 6 times a month. I started seeing a doctor in July of 2013 as they symptoms were effecting my life even work. They did several tests (blood count, thyroid, stomach ultra sound, mono virus, blood tests of organ function, lyme disease, common allergies, common auto immune disorders, MRI of kidney). Every thing came back fine. The GI doctor did a endoscopy, biopsy for celiac disease, and a HIDA scan. I did not have celiac disease. I had the beginning of ulcers and gastritis. The function of my gall bladder was 15%. The doctor gave omeprazole, at first it releaved the symptoms a little but then the symptoms gradually worsened. Every thing pointed to the gallbladder (nothing else wrong that was obvious, symptoms usually started at night, family history, I got sick when I was given the injection during the HIDA scan).

We decided to remove the gallbladder. I knew going into the surgery this was not 100%. Even though my gall bladder was not functioning properly this did not mean it was the cause of the symptoms. When they removed it it showed clear signs of disease (hardened, inflammed). For 2.5 months no symptoms. I was feeling great, my life was back to normal. Then I had another episode. This time a rather severe earache came first. What could this be? Is my body just adjusting to not having a gall bladder. Could this be due to causes that were never diagnosed? What could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
ear infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam and thanks for using healthcaremagic,

The most common cause of ear ache is ear infection.

It is in no way related to gall bladder disease and the fact that you have no gall bladder.

The infection usually is a result of a cold. The virus / bacteris causing the cold causes ear infection.

Sometimes the ear canal can get infected. It also produces similar type of pain.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi
You have to see an ENT specialist to confirm the diagnosis.

Middle ear infections are frequently viral in nature and hence only symptomatic treatment will suffice. If your symtpoms last for more than 6 days then you may need a course of antibiotics.
For pain take a pain killer like tylenol or ibuprofen after checking your dose.

Earache is not related to the symtpoms that you described, it is probably just a case of ear infection.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad