What causes dysphagia and esophageal tightness while on Benadryl?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I've been taking Benadryl for antihistaminic purposes to allay breathing problems from mast cell activation disorder. It calms my whole system down and allows me to breathe better, but it's caused dysphagia and esophageal tightness in my throat. How common is it for antihistamines in general - or Benadryl in particular - to cause dysphagia and throat problems, and do these problems typically resolve with discontinuation? (W/ all due respect, any doctor but Dr. XXXXXXX Rynne may answer please.)
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This is a not too common side effect of benedryl

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Welcome to HCM,

Benedryl and other antihistamines can cause this problem and it does resolve by discontinuing the medication. I might suggest other medications like an H2 inhibitor like Zantac or a Leukotriene receptor antagonist like Singulair(Montelukast) as alternatives for treating your breathing problem without causing the dysphagia (you need to obtain a prescription from your local physician for this).

Please let me know if you need more information

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ralph Chambers 48 hours later
Thank you very kindly Dr. Chambers,

I will look into using Singulair. It seems the dysphagia and throat motility side effects are extending beyond discontinuation for now. Is there a way to assess statistical percentage of long-term dysphagia or throat motility side effects with long-term antihistamine use?

Regards to you,

Cory
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I don't know of any long term problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi again. I'm not aware of any long term problem with this after discontinuing the benadryl so you shouldn't have the problem with that
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T