What causes dryness on the lips and flakiness?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello doctor,

This is XXXX for the past two weeks I have been having some lip dryness with flakiness tightness and fissures here and there only in the lower lip ( it has always been one spot at a time , one time it is the right side of lower lip the other day it's the left side , one time it's the right side corner the other time left side corner )three days ago the same sought of dryness and white tiny fissures like only to be noticed very minutely was seen in the left vermillion border at one spot now for the past two days the right side of the vermillion border feels like there is a crack when stretched and at times the line turns red sometimes when I look closely I can see white spot . I had queried about the same last week in the same portal where a doctor said if could be chellitis . I did go to a dermatologist who gave me antibiotic tablet and a anti allergy tablet and also hydrocortisone cream . I am attaching the pics for your reference please let me know what should I do . I am so patrinoid about herpes that I have taken tests from two centres and both of them came negative 4 months ago. The first set of pics that I am attaching is the one I had taken before eating the next set is the one after eating
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like cheilitis; topical steroid, moisturiser, Cetrizine

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints as well as reviewed the attached photographs.
You seem to be having cheilitis.
It is not looking like herpes labialis.
It seems to be related to sun exposure, dry weather, use of cosmetics, change of toothpaste, lipstick or licking of lips.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply topical steroid like mometasone cream on the affected areas of the lips twice daily along with frequent and liberal application of a moisturising cream containing white soft paraffin on the entire lips 3-4 times in a day for 7-10 days.
You can continue with tablet Cetrizine 10 mg.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 39 minutes later
Hello doctor

Each time I look into the mirror the redness is there in different places . I am attaching few pics now that I have taken you can understandehat I am trying to convey to you . Also can you tell me whether I can apply pure lanolin to my lips or can you recommend any other lip balm on the long run. Also please do recommend me a toothpaste which. Will not give me a allergy I have used sensodyne and vicco vajradanti in the past six months . I also sometimes feel a warm flushed sensation on my lips it's just that it's either left side or the right side of lower lips .
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for nmf e lip care or hydra rich lip, use colgate, pepsodant or closeup

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the newly uploaded pictures and it is looking like cheilitis.
Instead of pure lanolin I would recommend you to to use either nmf e lip care or hydra rich lips or venussia XXXXXXX cream as a regular moisturiser for lips.
As far as toothpaste is concerned you can use colgate or pepsodant or closeup.
Warm sensation without any other symptoms is nothing specific.
Avoid excessive sun exposure and keep your lips as much moisturised as possible.
This will reduce the feeling of warm sensations.