question-icon

What causes dryness in hands and toes in a diabetic?

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015
Question:
Hi.
My father started to have dryness in his hand and now also started on his toes (as shown in the photos). He is Diabetic, Hypertensive, Hyperlipidemic and also Hypothyroidism. All of them are well controlled on medications and regular follow up with Doctors. What can this dryness be due to and what is the treatment of such condition?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Keratolysis exfoliativa; mix and apply moisturizing cream+topical steroid

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have taken note of your query and I have also reviewed the Image.

This condition is known as keratolysis exfoliativa.
In keratolysis exfoliativa there is focal peeling of the palms and less often the soles.

It is more common in summer season and is seen more often in those who have sweaty palms and soles.
The result is a separation of superficial layers of skin which manifests as peeling of skin of palms and soles.

The condition is self resolving. I suggest him to restrict repeated hand washing with soap.

He may use a moisturizing cream, twice daily

Or else

He may mix a topical steroid e.g either betamethasone valerate 0.1% cream Or triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% with the moisturizing cream in equal proportions (1:1) and use it twice daily.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist