question-icon

What causes dryness and peeling of skin on hands?

Posted on Wed, 16 Jul 2014
Question: Every so often my hands flare up with dry skin and peeling. It can be quite uncomfortable too. I have a hydrocortisone cream 1% from the GP from last time it happened, but I haven't been to the GP this time. What is the best thing for this please?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Chronic hand eczema, take necessary precautions

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same .
Now your problem seems to be that of chronic hand eczema.
The mainstay of treatment in your case is the use of topical steroid agents on and off.
The most important thing for you is to keep your hands moisturized always.
You should regularly apply either some oils like olive oil or almond oil or some good moisturizers over your hands atleast three to four times a day.
In addition, you need to apply Cortizone 10 cream over the affected areas twice a day . You can get this cream as an otc product .
Sometimes when there is a flare up of the condition with associated swelling, you might need to take short courses of oral antihistamines like benadryl .
Since you have an allergic tendency over hands, you should avoid contact with detergents and washing powders as much as possible or you should wear gloves while working with potential irritants .

Dr Geetika Paul
Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist