What causes dryness and hard dirt in right ear?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Inside part of my right ear remains too dry and so, dirt collected becomes hard and is almost stuck to the surface that while bathing, i have to use a rough cloth for removing it...or else by using my nails to take off or peel off the cracky dried skin layer or dirt layer... This is happening to only my right ear and my left ear is absolutely normal. This problem started happening to my left ear almost few months back but it used to happen for sometime and then would be OK in few weeks..but I always felt that skin inside my left ear remains drier as compared to the skin of my right ear...
Now, the situation has again come back and I scratched it to remove the layer...But it seems to have aggravated and want a solution to this as it is recurring again...PLEASE SEE THE PICTURES...
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are most probably having diffuse otitis externa .

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ,

I have read your query and understand your concern.

Pictures attached here are of hands allergy .

As per your clinical history it appears that you are most probably having diffuse otitis externa .

If I were your treating Doctor for this case , I would advice you
Use ear drop Neosporin H / Ciplox D 3 drops thrice daily in both ears ,
Antihistaminic Fexofenadine Tab Allegra at night ,
Keep ear dry , don’t allow water go inside while bath &
don't itch inside ear , it will result into infection .

Itching inside ear will cause wax to get fixed to the ear wall . It will also result into trauma to surface skin which result into infection . Infection will result into more intense itching .Use ear drop when itching occurs .

You will get relief .

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 1 hour later
Sir

By mistake, I had uploaded a wrong photo....Now I have uploaded the correct ones for my condition of the ear....As far as itching is concerned, i don't feel so...before it never used to pain except when i try to scratch it out...But this time it slightly pains and seems to be more widesoread than earlier ones...
So, with the correct pictures, do I still require to take ALLEGRA tablet for allergy OR will only the ear drop do???
Any other medication if required, please tell me Sir..
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your pictures confirms my diagnosis of diffuse otitis externa .

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ,
Thanks for the follow up query.

I have read your query & seen your pictures .

I would advice you use complete treatment plan as advised including ALLEGRA tablet .

Also use Neosporin H ointment thrice daily with the help of ear bud but don't scratch it .

Hope this information helpful to you .
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 13 hours later
i went to two pharmacies but only Neosporin is available but not Neosporin H... ..whether this itself can be applied or should I search in more pharmacies??
Also, for how many days should I take allegra as it comes in pack of 10???
AND for how many days should I use the ear drop and the ointment??
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can use only Neosporin ointment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ,

Thanks for the follow up query.

You can use only Neosporin ointment. Beside that you may need to use ciplox D ointment along with tab allegra and ear drop & ointment for 10 days. These are prescription drugs which your treating doctor will know about.

Review after 10 days to me .

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 43 hours later
sir
it is healing fast and almost all parts of the affected areas have smoothened after the application of ointment, ear drop and allegra ...and hopefully will be fully recovered in next few days...Till now, while bathing I have taken utmost care that water does not enter my ear but with the improving situation, when can I bath normally without fearing for this??
Also,sir, as this was not the first time and this situation has happened before, it seems to be a RECURRING phenomenon for me and hence, would like your kind suggestion on
1) the PREVENTIVE actions to be taken by me in future
2) probable cause of my situation
3) Do's and Dont's if any for such situation

Thanks

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
After 7 days you can bath normally .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up query XXXXXXX .

Nice to hear , you are healing fast .

After 7 days you can bath normally .

Preventive measures are Keep ear dry & don't itch inside ear with ear bud or any object . No need to clean ear , ear will clean itself .

Probable cause for your situation is nasal allergy & sinuses infection . It will be clear on CT Scan nose & para nasal sinus .

Do's and Don'ts : Do's apply ointment .
Don't - don't itch inside ear .

Hope this information helpful to you .
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist