What causes dry tongue at night?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a dry tougue at night sometime what causes this? I not on any medication or anything. I live in the XXXXXXX Az so is it related to drinking water?
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following causes to dry tongue...

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Having a dry tongue might be related to less water consumption (dehydration) or if you do sweat a lot during the day.

Other possible causes include:
- stomach problems: GERD/reflux, gastritis
- diabetes, especially, if you urinate frequently too
- candida overgrowth in the mouth

I suggest to run further tests to get the right diagnosis:
- diabetes testing: fasting blood sugar, post-prandial level (after 2 hours) and HbA1C tests
- culture of tongue swab for candida overgrowth

If everything is ok, and if are also having heartburn or other stomach complaints, then, should run upper endoscopy and abdominal ultrasound to exclude gastritis/GERD.

Hope it helped!
Dr.Albana
Let me know if anything unclear!