• question-icon

What causes dry skin and anxiety?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Another anxiety driven question I know, I have dry skin on my elbows and this guy I was working with kept brushing up against me, he had a scab he had been picking at so there was some blood on the surface of it. Is there any way if some of that blood made my contact with my dry skin on my elbows that HIV could be passed. I know Hiv isn't spread by casual contact and he did just brush up against my arm, I don't know if he hit my elbow or not. If he did I would guess that the blood on the surface of the scab would be exposed to air and dead, I am just worried. I attached pictures of my elbows I tink the cracks are just normal and not real cracks, they don't bleed at all, and I had no blood coming out of me

I have had a blood phobia since my deployment to Afghanistan.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry! There is no risk for HIV .

Detailed Answer:
Hello! I have been through your question.

I have seen carefully your picture and I don't see any blood there.
Related your concern I think you shouldn't worry because since there is not a direct blood contact with his blood , doesn't exist any risk to get HIV.

Yes you have right that a casual contact like this does not transmit HIV.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
so dry skin with out bleeding cracks does not provide a route for HIV infection.

He just brushed against me, would that kind of contact wouldn't lead to hiv even if there was a cut.

would any blood on the surface of his scab be dead because it was exposed to oxygen?

No worries, no test and I can have sex with my wife
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dry skin doesn't provide a route for HIV infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you writing back.

Please don't worry , based on your history( dry skin and just brushed against you) , there is no risk to get HIV infection even if there was a cut.

Yes you have right that the HIV virus dies once it leaves the closed system of the body and is exposed to the air.But above all the existence of the scab prevents the direct contact with the blood.

Furthermore, is not necessary to do HIV test but you should live a life without thinking about HIV and of course you can continue to have sex with your wife.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 9 hours later
just to confirm I had the dry skin he had the scab which looked like it had blood on it

his scab with maybe some blood on it rubbed against the patches of dry skin on my elbow (maybe)
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry.There is no risk to get HIV infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you writing back.
I am sorry for my late response.

Please don't worry, I emphasize again that in this situation ( some blood rubbed against your patches of dry skin)not exist any risk to get HIV infection.
It needs a direct blood contact to have the risk of HIV infection.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist