What causes dry scaly skin?

Question
GM doctor,

all of a sudden i have dryness on my thumb, skin is become very dry & scaly. it is very difficult to drive & cook. applying aloe jel gives relief for some time, but again dryness occurs. what might be the problem ?

I have thyroid problem, I take thyrox 25 everyday, & also I get fungal infections often on the skin, on & offI get this.. I apply candid cream & use sastid soap when ever I get this problem & also frequent vaginal infection for the same I apply surfaz cream or candid cream, is this all linked ? after pregnancy am facing continuous infections. pls suggest
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

Your problems of dryness of thumb, dry & scaly skin is due to increase in thyroid problem.

Get a Thyroid profile repeated now as your thyrox dose needs to be adjusted.

The infection can also be linked to thyroid problem but might not be also.

Please get a WBC count also and a culture of the fungal infection as we need to treat it correctly.

Feel free to consult me directly
http://bit.ly/drsombiswas

Dr. Som Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX