• question-icon

What causes dry patches on the eyelids?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello doctor about a couple months ago i started to notice dry patchs on my eye lids on the crease then I noticed dry like dranduff on my lashes so i put coconut oil seemed to work so i stopped putting it on then a couple days ago my eye lids got red red and dry again, i thought it was ecezema but yestersay i woke up with kne eye lid more swollen and painful to open my eyes today i just applied warm water on them and they are still abit swollen. What can it be and what should i take?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
For now you need to just keep them relaxed, hydrated and clean.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I saw your photos.

From the photos it is not visible a swelling or a redness.
From your description though, I don't think that the symptoms you have now are related with the eczema episode.

We will need to see in the coming hours or days how your symptoms will develop.
For now, just apply warm water pathches on them so you can keep the eyes relaxed and hydrated. Chamomile water patches may be helpful.

Let me know in a few hours if :
-- you are having discharge,
-- the redness and swelling is getting worse and where is it localized;
-- you have any feeling like sand inside your eye
-- If you have pain during eyeball movements

It may be a conjunctivitis which can be viral or bacterial. But it can also be an infection of the eyelid or a stye.

I will be here to answer as soon as possible and lead you on if you need to see a local doctor or if you can apply any drops on the eyes.

Looking forward to your follow up question.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 39 hours later
This morning they look alot more swollen, they just hurt to open a bit like the feeling when your so tired you just want to close your eyes.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some practical advises.

Detailed Answer:

I reviewed your photos.
The problem seems to be mild blepharitis which is developing (inflammation of the eyelid).

Here is some practical advice on what you can do:

- apply warm compresses to eyelids for several minutes
- massage eyelid 1-2 times/day at a time most convenient for you.

These should be enough to make it feel better in a few days, if not, then you can either see a local doctor or if you can take at the local pharmacy you can use a local antibiotic. Bacitracin or erythromycin ointment (make sure you are not allergic to either of them) should be applied on eyelid margins ≥ 1 times/day or at bedtime for a few weeks. Blepharitis is a problem that needs time to heal completely, so don't worry and take care of yourself.

Hope this advice will help you. But please let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 5 hours later
Thank you doctor,
When i massage my eyelids do i need to have some type of oil or just massage alone?
Can i still use tea bags?
Or warm paper towles?

Can i continue to use makeup as long as i keep my up with the warm compressions and antibiotic?
Also do i need eye drops? And if so which kind should i get? My eyes do seem dry espically with all the heat where i live its really dry air.

And if you have any recommondations of good makeup brands to use?

Also how does someone get this?

And can keep usuing eye creams? Like for dark and puffy eyes?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is recommended to stop using make-up and every other substance.

Detailed Answer:

You can use the same with which you do the warm compresses and massage.

It is recommended to not use makeup until the eyes healed. Most probably it is caused by your make up of other substances you use in contact with your eyelid. So avoiding them is better for now.

You don't need eye drops. The antibiotic I wrote above is an ointment and it is used instead of the eye drops. You can take that antibiotic in the form of eye drops if you want, but that would mean that you may need to use it more often during the days. So using ointment is easier.

I hope this answers your questions.

Dr. Papaqako

Dr. Klarida Papaqako