What causes dry mouth?
Seems like Xerostomia or Dry mouth..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..
I am so sorry to hear about your problem and will try my level best to resolve it to the best of my knowledge and experience..
As per the explanation of symptoms the condition is pointing towards dry mouth or Xerostomia that occurs due to reduced saliva flow and although you do not observe reduced flow of saliva but there must be definitely reduce watery content of saliva leading to the following symptoms...
Altered taste and burning sensation in mouth are all due to dry mouth only..
I would suggest you to please answer the following questions so that I can guide you better..
1. Do you have any medical problem or are you on any medication?
2. Do you experience increased thirst, urination or hunger?
3. Do you have any white coating on tongue?
4. How much water do you drink daily?
5. Do you have any mouth breathing habit?
6. Is there any smoking habit present?
7. Do you experience any dryness or irritation in eyes along with these symptoms?
8. Have you ever had any infection in salivary glands?
Please revert back with answers..
Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
1) Hormonal therapy ie climara estrogen patch 2 yrs. Estrace estrogen cream 2 months
2) no increase in thirst , urination or hunger
3) no coating on tongue
4) drink at least 8 -16 oz of water daily
5)no mouht breathing habit
7)no dryness or irritation in eyes
8) no history of infection of salivary glands
another symptom is 'sensitivity' 'tenderness" "stiffness" in lower gums/lips
I had my 6 month dental a couple of months ago. Gums and teeth healthy.
Can be due to hormonal imbalance
If no other factors seem to be responsible for the dryness in mouth then hormonal imbalances/changes in body can be a cause..
Sensitivity and tenderness of the lower lip seems to be due to dry mouth only..
You need a proper clinical evaluation and investigations like hormonal assay, oral swab culture, MRI of salivary glands etc to get the cause ruled out and get treated accordingly..
As of now you can take supportive treatment to relieve the symptoms like:
-Gargle with specialized mouthwash formulated for dry mouth patients like Biotene.
-Chew sugarfree chewing gums.
-Drink plenty of water
-You can also instill artificial saliva drops
-Avoid using regular mouthwash
-You can also suck ice to reduce inflammation and sensitivity
Any further queries are welcome
Consult your Gynaecologist..
My suggestion would be to consult your Gynaecologist and get evaluated and she can do a proper evaluation and also advise your hormonal profile done to rule out the cause and treat accordingly..
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Dry mouth causes and cures
- What causes nighttime dry mouth
- Dry mouth at night causes
- What causes dry mouth and roughness on tongue
- Medical causes of dry mouth
- Causes of sudden dry mouth
- What causes dry mouth
- Very dry mouth causes
- What causes dry mouth and metallic taste in mouth
- What causes dry mouth syndrome
- Suggest treatment for radiating pain in jaw
- Suggest treatment for raised bumps on tongue
- What causes cramps and weakness post intake of Clindamycin and Oxycodone?
- Is Tylenol advisable for pain while on Ramipril and Atorvastatin?
- What causes gum sensitivity along with puffiness and sensitivity inside...
- What causes a painless patch inside the left cheek?
- What causes bleeding gums while brushing?
- What causes lower front teeth pain and bleeding gums while on Storvas?
- What causes severe tooth pain post a root canal?
- Suggest remedies for dental abscess