What causes dry mouth with an unpleasant taste?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been waking up in the morning with a dry mouth and an unpleasant taste in my mouth. I have also noticed a feeling of slightly trembling, but I am not actually trembling. It feels like the trembling is internal ... if this makes sense. It goes away very quickly upon awakening fully.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:

Possible diagnosis: GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease)

Detailed Answer:

The unpleasant taste and dry mouth in the morning are likely due to Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). This occurs due to reflux of stomach contents into oesophagus.

Please try the following lifestyle modifications to help with the symptoms.

Avoid spicy, fatty, and fried foods as well as chocolates and carbonated drinks.

Avoid citrus-containing foods like tomatoes, oranges, and fruit juices.

Eat multiple small portions of food rather than three large meals.

Limit caffeine intake.

Have your dinner at least two hours before bedtime, so that your stomach is light before you go to bed.

Elevate the head end of the bed by placing wooden blocks under the bedpost. Using extra pillows will not provide relief.

Avoid cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption.
Maintain a healthy weight.

If lifestyle modification alone does not help, you can take Pantoprazole in the morning before breakfast.

The shivering you are experiencing is normal and some individuals experience such shivering in sleep or waking up from sleep.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 hours later
Thank you very much for your detailed and thoughtful response.

What I thought you were going to say was that the dry mouth might indicate a blood sugar regulation problem ... and the shaking might indicate the same ... that my blood sugar was low upon waking.

I will work to implement some of the strategies you mention. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:

Low.blood sugar can cause shaking or tremors. However, lpw blood sugar will not cause dry mouth. Since you are not diabetic on any anti diabetic medications, low blood sugar is highly unlikely.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng