What causes dry mouth and eyes while on Combigan?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I take spireva for moderate copd and combigan for glaucoma.

I can not tolerate the dry mouth and dry eyes any longer. my glaucoma has become worse instead of better and my eye is red, dry, and painful. I have also developed sudden and extensive dental problems which my dentist says is probably secondary to the extreme dry mouth. what a mess. any suggestions.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Side effects of medicines.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
Usually we do not see such extreme dryness with. combigan .It is good to stop these medication.I do not see any mention of lubricat eye drops which you are using.If not using already then you can start with Refresh read eye drop or lubricating gel.
You have to rule out XXXXXXX Jhonson syndrome and the doctor in your next week appointment should perform schirners test to ascertain and quantify degree of dryness.
There are various other compounds like Alfagan,lumigan available as alternative to combigan as we can not allow glaucome to be left unattended.Talk to the ER doctor about this as I do not like the idea of stopping antiglaucoma drop for one week.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj