What causes dry mouth and difficulty in swallowing while on Oxybutynin?
Hello and welcome
I appreciate your concern
Based on your description, you are right oxybutinin is an anticholinergic medication and can lead to the bothersome dry mouth and drying of secretions.
There are better alternatives within the anticholinergic class as well as other drugs.
These include solifenacin , tricyclic antidepressants such as imipramine and the new beta 3 agaonists like mirabegron.
Pregabalin and tramadol have also shown promising effects in recent trials wrt bladder overactivity.
So a combination of pregabalin and mirabegron can be tried as an alternative in consult with your doctor
wishing you best of health
Dr M.S Khalil
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes difficulty swallowing
- Dry mouth difficulty swallowing headache salty taste in mouth reasons
- Can ataxia cause difficulty swallowing?
- Cause of painless lump in mouth causing difficulty swallowing
- What causes dry mouth
- Dry mouth and difficulty swallowing
- Difficulty swallowing while sleeping
- Can amyloidosis cause difficulty swallowing?
- What are the symptoms of difficulty swallowing?
- Drugs that cause difficulty swallowing