What causes dry itchy cough after inguinal hernia repair?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have a dry itchy cough. I had laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair three days ago and I was under general anesthesia. Anything to worry about? Sputum is clear...no tightness in chest or difficulty breathing. No fever. Just an intermitent itch in the chest that causes a dry cough.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please take cough supressant medications

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

Sometimes there are situations when patients develop dry itchy cough after surgery and this is most likely due to anesthesia procedure. Its not something to get worried about but the cough must b e minimised because the surgical wound is still healing.

I suggest you discuss with your doctor and take cough supressant medications.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 35 minutes later
I suspected the cough was a result of the anesthesia, but I wanted a professional opinion. Actually, the cough didn't crop up until only a few hours ago. But my intuition told me that this is because I discontinued use of the Percocet that was prescribed for post-op pain. I managed so well that I thought it would be a good idea to stop as soon as I could. However, I'm going to guess that the oxycodone was supressing the cough. I just went out and bought some Tussin non-alcoholic syrup and a cool humidifier. Until directed by my surgeon, I want to go the least medicated route possible. Does this sound reasonable?

Thank you kindly for your reply and I certainly appreciate the help.

XXXXXXX
Brief Answer:
Cough medications should be sufficient

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

I also suppose that the oxycodone in Percocet was suppressing the cough for a while. Tussin works by thinning and loosening mucus in the airways, clearing congestion, and making breathing easier. It is reasonable to take tussin and cwhich will help your airways to clear. Please do not cough voluntarily and keep away from any allergic environments. Taking the route of least medications is something I appreciate.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek