What causes dry, itchy and scaly patches all over body?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have this etching sensation in my hand
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly provide a few more details

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have taken note of your query and I wish to help you regarding your concern.

-I would like to know, are there any visible skin changes like dry, red, scaly patches, cracking etc? If yes, kindly upload an Image.

-Is itching on both hands?

-How long since you have itching? Is it intermittent or continuous?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
skin is dry , mild red, scaly patches and cracking are visible. I have uploaded images. there are few spots in body where you can see these back side of upper neck, lower back, between chin and neck.

all these spots have itching sensation. it is always there on right hand . I thought it is due to dryness but starting this summer a month back I noticed all these spots have similar feeling and visible sign.

if it sweating I can feel itching especially in hands

kindly advice.

Reagrds

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eczematous dermatitis; topical potent steroid cream + Oral antihistamines

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

I have reviewed the Images.
I can see dry scaly eczematous patches on hands and back of neck.

I would suggest that you use a good moisturizer cream/ lotion regularly, all over the affected areas.
Specifically for the patches of dry, scaly, red skin I suggest you to apply a topical potent steroid cream e.g clobetasol propionate 0.05% cream, twice daily, over and above the moisturizer.
These are prescription medications.
I will advise you to visit a nearby dermatologist so that he/ she can do clinical examination and give you prescription.
An OTC oral antihistamine e.g cetrizine 10 mg once daily will provide you symptomatic relief from itching.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 days later
I am daily taking few medicines recommended post heart treatement such as ecosprin, consivas, Met XL and prax. can I take cetrizine?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can take cetrizine

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes, you can take cetrizine.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 51 minutes later
thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Also use the topical steroid cream which I had mentioned in one of my earlier replies.

Thank you for writing to us.
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist