question-icon

What causes dry heaving after alcohol withdrawal?

Posted on Wed, 23 Jul 2014
Question: in alcohol withdrawal, constant dry heaving . how dangerous and how long before seeing a doctor
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Mild withdrawal symptoms, not dangerous

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with dilgence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

As you have mentioned only constant dry heaves, from the International Assessment of Alcohol Withdrawal scoring system, your symptoms are considered mild (with a score of 7). Although the dry heaves can be quite annoying, I would not say they are serious enough to cause panic, but I would still recommend a doctors visit to help suppress your withdrawal symptom and also to help you to withdraw from alcohol on a more permanent basis.

In response to your query, I would not consider your presentation dangerous, but it is certainly a withdrawal symptom to alcohol. If at all you experience any other symptoms in addition to the dry heaving, you will have to report to a doctor immediately sir. For now, no emergent medical attention will be required, but you should schedule an appointment at your earliest convenience.

I hope you find my response helpful sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan