What causes dry heaves, chills and rashes on the body after taking Sulfamethoxazole?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Yesterday had dry heaves all day followed by chills overnight and now a rash all over body. Was fighting an infection started from a toe nail being rilpped off. Was given antibiotics for it cephalexin and sulfameth but to be honest did not stay on schedule taking the pills
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stop the medications and talk to your doctor!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your information fully. This seems an allergy to sulfameth. I strongly recommend you stop this medication and report this to your treating doctor immediately.

I wish you well and do treat this as a matter of urgency.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad