• question-icon

What causes dry eyes in a child?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: A few weeks ago, i sent a question related to my 9 year old grand daughters eye problem.
We have taken her to her doctor and to an eye doctor to try and resolve the problem, her
vision, all is normal. Similar diagnosis was given by Dr. Mirsa on 6/8/17, on your staff.
She was given eye drops for dry eyes and later for tear production. Neither of the drops
solved the problem. I am attaching a photo of the problem, hope fully you and you colleges can diagnose and treat accordingly. Thank You,xxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload the images.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks asking on HealthcareMagic. Unfortunately I do not see any attachment. You can upload the attachments using the facility on the upper right of this page. Alternatively you can email the attachments to YYYY@YYYY with the query id 337696 and my name mentioned in the subject. I would also insist you to add details about the complaints she is having. Based on those I would surely guide you further.

I would await your response.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
NOTE BAND OF RED IS ONLY IN AREA OF EYE THAT IS EXPOSED TO LIGHT ( LIGHT SENSITIVITY ISSUE )??
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be due to allergic cause

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I have checked the attached image. It seems that the redness is due to an allergic component. It does not seem to be a cause for concern. Application of Pataday (Olopatadine Hydrochloride Ophthalmic Solution) Drops [prescription medicine] should provide relief.

Light sensitivity can be involved although I doubt if that is the case. Even in such a case the mentioned eye drop should help.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha