What causes dry eyes and near sightedness?

Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi there,

I have dry eyes as well as nearsightedness (-5.75 and -6.50). Recently I became aware anything over 6 is considered severe.

I'm worried this puts me at high risk of blindness or unfixable eye problems and am wondering how concerned I should be. Is it generally manageable at these levels without permanent loss of vision? Is this degenerative?

I do see an eye doctor regularly, and she never mentioned any increased risks in the past. My glasses do tend to change fairly often, but they're not massive changes as far as I know.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 48 hours later
Brief Answer:
high myopia.

Detailed Answer:
You are having high myopia. But your age is 34 for that it is not going to change much.In this way you are not going to become blind. For dry eye you have to apply artificial tear drop.
You have not mentioned it's enhancing factor like use of contact lens, excessive exposure to computer, or excessive viewing of TV. These factors increases dry eye syndrome. If so,avoid excessive staring at computer or TV.
Take precautions in contact lens use.You have to remove the contact lens at bed time.
For myopia you have three options like spectacles, contact lens, refractive surgery. Since having dry eye refractive surgery and contact lens you have to take precaution. Mention this to doctor before the procedure.With your age now frequent change will not take place.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 21 hours later
Thank you for your time and reassuring my fears regarding myopia!
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
high myopia

Detailed Answer:
No fear, only thing's to add on advice is since you are high myopic Remote chance of retinal detachment is there. So retina specialist can have a review of retina once a year,just to keep watch.Happy that you are satisfied I am always available at your service
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 5 days later
Hi there. I reupped/reopend this question as I have a few more queries:

- I plan to get checked for lattice degeneration at my next eye exam since I am myopic. Though I did have my eye checked in my early 30's and nothing was mentioned - is it the case that lattice degeneration usually begins in the first few decades of life and if you don't have it by now (I'm 34), it's unlikely to present in the future?

- I also had a question about the acute version of glaucoma. Is it true that since I'm nearsighted, while more at risk for the slowly progressing version, I'm less at risk for the acute emergency version? I read that this can occur when the iris is fully open because drainage gets blocked...since I'm on a night schedule and in dark rooms more, is, say, watching TV or working on the computer in a dark room (with just a bit of ambient light) a risk?

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
chronic simple glacouma and myopia.

Detailed Answer:
For every one is cautioned not to watch TV in dark room. This short of attack takes place in cinema hall while watching. In your case it is mandatory to put on a light in such work place. It is possible in every one's case.
In high myopia cases of chronic simple glaucoma have been reported. In your case gonioscopy is to be done and other provocative test like dark room test , but it can not be myopia indicated or responsible for it. Glaucoma specialist may be consulted,advise may be taken.For your proneness to attack of glaucoma can be assessed. When you get your retina checked, every aspect is checked including lattic degeneration..All precaution for preventing acute attack of glaucoma are applicable to you.
Lattic degeneration means thinning of retina it is most common after 40 years of age who are highly myopic.