What causes dry eyes and mouth?

Dr. Vidya KR

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had dry eyes and mouth for a long period of time. In the last year, I have developed a thick saliva and an extremely grittiness in my mouth along with a bitter taste. I constantly suck on my teeth. It is driving me crazy. What is it and how do I treat it? What type doctor do I need?
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
sjogrens syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

Your symptoms are in more favor of sjogrens syndrome. Other possibilities are air pollution and use of medications, please mention your medications, if using any.

Sjogrens syndrome is difficult to diagnose, Average time of diagnosis is 7 years from onset of first symptom. Because it depends on changes in salivary glands causes by autoimmune destruction.

Treatment is mainly symptomatic. artificial teats for dry eyes and avoid sugar candies for dry mouth. few medications to improve dry mouth are available, used only in severe cases. Immunologist will be a better person to diagnose your condition.

Hope i answered your query. Feel free to ask further related query.