What causes dry ear wax flakes?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello Doctor,
Few days ago I saw somw white dandruff like thing inside my mothers both ears. When my mother put her finger inside the ear to see what was wrong, there was blood in both ears. She is 62 years. I am very concerned if there isnt any major problem.
Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ear wax/ dermatitis.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. These flakes in the ear are either dry ear wax flakes or a part of dermatitis.

2. Dry ear wax flakes will be restricted to the ear canal, while dermatitis should be seen on other areas of the body such as the scalp.

3. It is important to get the ears examined by an ENT specialist and the scalp by a Skin specialist.

4. The itching causes the urge to clean the ears and leads to bleeding from the delicate ear canal skin. Gastritis and acidity worsens the itching.

5. Use of anti-fungal ear drops or Mullein ear oil (Homeopathic) with the ear buds and as ear drops will help reduce the flakes and itching. Avoid any other oil or ear syringing. Anti-histamines can help control the itching. Sometimes the cause is auto-immune, hormonal or environmental and not fungal in origin.

6. This is a very common and minor problem. Check is she is on any anti-coagulants.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist