What causes dry cough?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Mon, 14 Jul 2014 in Elderly Problems
Question: I have had a dry cough for about two months. I am a sixty year old man in good health.My only medication is atenolol 25mg x daily for rapid heart beat.
For about a week I have had extreme fatigue with daytime sleepiness. I had loss of appetite until today but no nausea no diarrhea no vomiting and no fever, occasional chills,some thirst. Shortness of breath on even mild exertion. I have urinary pressure and leaking just before urination but no pain or burning . Tiredness in my arms and limbs.
I am a non smoker.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly prostatic problem

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Prakash HM, and I would like to help you.
I have some questions, you need to think about.

Do you pass urine frequently and in small amounts?
If you put more pressure, does it pain or less urine comes out?
Do these urinary symptoms have your sleep disturbed?
Do you have disturbed sleep due to any other causes?
If all these are present, you may be suffering from beinign prostatic hyperplasia. It is a condition of elderly males. It presents with urinary frequency, urgency and incomplete voiding.
Medications in initial stages can be taken or you can opt for a simple surgery.
Your dry cough might be due to disturbed sleep or open mouth breathing. You can do salt water gargling and take soothening lozenges.
All other symptoms like weakness and shortness of breath are due to your disturbed sleep and inadequate food intake.
You should improve your diet with protein and vitamin rich food and can take nutritional supplements as required.
If possible get a complete blood counts and urine examination done, and we can discuss further.
If you have other symptoms or queries, do ask in followup.
Happy to help you again.
Dr. Prakash HM

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad