What causes dry cough with phlegm?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi Doctor,

My 5 year old daughter has been suffering from dry cough and sometimes cough with phlegm for very long. The symptoms vanish when she is given antibiotics but recent visit to ENT surgeon revealed that she has adenoid hypertrophy. Doctor has advised surgical removal. In obtaining second opinion from another ENT specialist..she was prescribed Momeflo nasal spray ..Telecast kid tablets and AB Phylline syrup for a month. I am very confused. Please advise if we yet have to consider surgery.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
She needs surgical removal of adenoids.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Your daughter is having recurrent complaints of cough, expectoration.
Enlarged adenoids is one of the cause for this.
Antibiotics are temporary solution. They are not treating permanently.
Surgical removal of adenoids is the permanent solution for her symptoms.
So better to get done surgical removal of adenoids.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your daughter. Thanks.