question-icon

What causes dry cough, weakness, irritated throat, nausea and vomiting in a child?

Posted on Thu, 12 May 2016
Question: Hi. My 12 yr. old son caught a cold 3 weeks ago. After a week, he got worse. We went to the ER. He was diagnosed with bronchitis, and an ear infection. He was given an inhaler. Nothing changed. After another trip to a different ER, he was diagnosed with strep throat Monday. He was given another inhaler and antibiotics. Today, ( he is still not any better. These are his symptoms: He is coughing a very dry cough, he is weak from the waist down, his throat is now only slightly irritated, (I assume the antibiotics are working on that as it is getting better) he complains of nausea, he has had some vomiting, fever and he also complains of dizziness. But, what concerns me the most is, when he walks through the house, he has to stop and lean on something to catch his breath. If it is that bad at home, it MUST be worse at school. Both my son and husband were also diagnosed with ear infections as well at the first visit. They both are experiencing shortness of breath when they walk, not even running, just walking. We are a poor family who already receives the worst possible medical care available for poor people which is medicaid. That plus overcrowded waiting rooms have caused me to have to consult on-line. Please help us! Thank You!
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale (43 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
some more information please.

Detailed Answer:
HI XXXXXXX loves music,
Thanks for the query under health care magic platform
I have gone through your query carefully & understand your concern.
It seems your son caught common cold 3 weeks back.. which turned into throat & ear infection .. creating breathlessness on slight walking.
I have few doubts , will you please explain ..so as to help me derive some conclusion & advise you?
- By chance was he tested for his blood counts? If yes please attach the reports . If not, could you probably get it done & forward ? I want..
- Blood Hb%, TLC,DLC .
Please note, these are just basic investigations. .. giving some idea/ advise about his health status. This will allow me to advise some basic medicines, with which he would start feeling better & by the time you can get him examined by experts at medicaid/ He may be advised for few more tests to specify type of infection..
_ Which medicines he has been offered all these days?
_ What is is height & body weight?
- Is there any family history of allergy / bronchitis/ asthma in your family?( as your husband also seems to have same breathing complains.)
Waiting for your answer..
Thanks.
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale