What causes dry cough despite being on medications?

Question
Dear Doctor,
My wife is having dry cough for past 3-4 months. We have visited doctor as well and doctor has said that it is allergic cough. After having the medications prescribed by him, there was a bit relief for initial 1-2 days but, now it is back to the old state. (Prescription attached).

Please suggest what could be the cause and what could be done to get relief from this cough? Thanks.

Axxxx
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Internal Doctor Category

Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sputum examination to be done

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I have gone through your query and reviewed the attached prescription

I suggest you to get her sputum examination and chest X ray done to rule out any possibilities of infection. Then the treatment can be planned according to the results. For time being let her have Tab. Montair LC 1 tablet 2 times a day for 5 days and and Syr Grilinctus 5ml 3 times a day.

Any issues do follow up.