What causes dry cough after smoking?

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi. A slightly strange question but just over a week ago I was on holiday for a few days and smoked quite a number of cigarettes alongside the alcohol consumed. Since then I have experienced a sporadic dry cough accompanied by a slight tightening of the chest. Originally I was coughing fairly regularly but a week on and it has almost totally subsided. The one strange fact however is that when I drink alcohol I tend to get phlegm on the chest or in the throat at times making me almost cough up phlegm/mucus? I would appreciate your advice on what these symptoms may be. Thank You
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Smoking is the likely cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Sir

Excessive smoking affects the ciliary action of respiratory tract ( main function of cilia is to expel out the thickened secretion ) . This leads to pent up secretion in the respiratory tract , excessive consumption of alcohol leads to dehydration due to diuretic action of alcohol which further worsens the condition.

I would suggest you the following

1. Ensure Good intake of water and fluids

2. If possible completely avoid smoking and drinking

3. Warm Saline Gargling: To a glass of lukewarm water add 2 spoons of salt and gargle the throat thrice a day. it will help in reducing the congestion of throat and liquify the secretion

4. Sipping honey : sipping 1-2 spoons of honey will be helpful

5. Expectorant/Mucolytic Cough syrup will be helpful

DO get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you

Take Care

Best regards

Dr Shobha Deepak
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad