What causes dry cough after having Telmisartan?

Cardiologist
Question
Dear Dr. I was taking 40 mg Telmistran + 5 mg Amlodepine since last 6 years . I developed Allergic reaction(Upper Respiratory Track Infection/ Sinusitis and dry cough) since last 6 months . In anticipation I switched over to 10 mg Cilinidipine . I am a Diabetic & 68 years old man . Is it OK ?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see below.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir
1. Hope you have changed your medicines under medical supervision. It is at times dangerous to change any medicine without consulting a doctor physically.
2. For patients with diabetes and high blood pressure, telmisartan like drugs are best choice since they protect kidneys additionally. These drugs are generally not known to cause dry cough which is a known side effect of similarly acting drugs ACEI. Concomitant presence of infectious or allergic process does not prohibit their use.
3. Uncommonly these drugs may be required to be stopped because of dry cough.
4. You must consult your physician before changing the drug.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder