What causes dry and itchy lumps on scrotum?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Men's Health
Question: Hi, I have a kind of rash on my right side scrotum, that I have had for several years with no healing whatsoever. The rash looks like small dry lumps on the skin and sometimes I itch it so bad I get sores from it. I went to the doctor with it, and she prescribed me some anti-itching cream, because she though if I stopped itching it, it would eventually go away. It did not remove the itch nor do anything to better the rash, and I can't really find any good advice on how to cure it. Any idea what this might be?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi

It is difficult to reach an exact diagnosis in your case , going by the description alone. Although I do suspect a fungal cause in your case.
It would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the skin condition and upload them here on this page.
Also please tell what all medicines have you been applying.
Is the problem persistent or does it heal up completely in between.?
Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 31 minutes later
I uploaded a picture now, though it varies in visibility depending on how much i scratch it, so i dont know if this is enough for you to evaluate. I only used one cream, which was Locoid 0.1% hydrocortizone cream. I also tried putting some moisturiser on it at first, because i thought it was only dry skin. Neither helped the least. The problem is a pretty persistent everyday thing, though its not constantly itching all day, it does at least once a day.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eczematised fungal infection, should get better

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have seen the attached picture.
You seem to be having neurodermatitis which is basically an eczema of the scrotal region. Also I can see slight scaling in the region which denotes a fungal infection.
You need to mix and apply cortisone cream and canestan cream over the affected areas twice a day. Use this medicine continously for atleast two weeks. You should surely avoid touching or scratching the area since this type of eczema increases on rubbing.
Wear cotton undergarments so as to decrease friction and sweating.
You can take some oral antihistamine like claritin tablet once a day or benadryl in the adult dosage for about a week along.
I am sure this will help in solving your problem.

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 52 minutes later
Okay, thank you so much! I'm wondering, does the Locoid cream i previousily used work as the cortisone part of the mix with canestan?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Medicine for neurodermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Yes even locoid cream would help in your problem . But make sure that you follow the treatment regularly for atleast ten to fourteen days.
In addition , you can continue to moisturize the area regularly with a good moisturizer or oil like coconut or olive oil.

And as told, the most important part is to avoid itching or scratching .

Dr Geetika Paul