What causes drowsiness?

Posted on Fri, 24 Oct 2014 in Sleep Disorders
Question: hello why do i feel sleepy after an 8 hour sleep...i am 52 years old.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Might be due to sleep apnea

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

There are multiple causes in which people feel sleepy despite adequate duration of sleep. One of the common such disorder is sleep apnea in which there is disturbance in sleep and people awakens from sleep with gasping. This is more common who have weight on higher side and short neck.

The other condition of excessive sleep is narcolepsy in which patient gets irresistible attack of sleep during day time.

I request you to get one polysomnography to quantify the exact nature of sleep and associated problems. Once we get this we can diagnose the reason for excessive sleep during day.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist