What causes drowsiness?

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014 in Diabetes
Question: ok seems like lately i am very drowzy and I need sugar to get my focus back. It is to the point I was driving in the morning, taking wrong turns, running off the road, instantly falling asleep. drink a coke or have a candy bar and I am ok for awhile.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
Good day.
It is extremely important to analyze your symptoms especially since you experience them while driving. It could be hypoglycemia or just lack of sleep??

Do you have diabetes or are you taking any pills? Alcohol intake ?

We need to examine you and do few blood tests. It would have been excellent if you could get a blood test for blood glucose whilst having symptoms to check for low blood glucose? If that is the case, we might need to admit you to a hospital to do a 72 hour fasting test.

It is important to do a focused examination and blood works.
By the way, do you snore while sleeping ? DO you feel wll rested when you wake up in the mornings?

Would appreciate a reply
Binu
Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist