What causes drowsiness while on Oxycodone?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: is it a bad idea to take a depression medication (trazadone) with a pain medication (tylenol #3 or hydrocodone/oxycodone) when the trazodone can also be used as a sleep aid?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
increased risk of drowsiness with hydrocodone/oxycodone

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are no known interactions between trazadone but there are possible interactions with hydrocodone/oxycodone.

As you stated, there is an increased risk of drowsiness if trazadone is used along with hydrocodone/oxycodone.

This is the main possible interaction that can occur

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 hours later
does the medical board not allow my pain doctor to prescribe pain medication such as tylenol #3, oxycodone or hydrocodone while I am taking an antidepressant (trazadone)?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
can be given

Detailed Answer:
HI

It can be prescribed but you just need to be aware that you may feel extra drowsy due to the interaction.

All medications do not affect everyone in the same way, if you are not too drowsy to go about your normal daily activities then it works for you.

For some others, it may make them too sleepy to function properly.

You can monitor to see if you have any issues