What causes drowsiness while on Deriphyllin?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my mother aged 80 was taking deriphyllin tablet for the past one week at night .today i gave her this tablet in the morning now she is feeling low bp 99/49 drowsiness etc what should i do please help
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Water and salt

Detailed Answer:

Need not worry, a single dose of deriphyllin at wrong time does not cause any problems.

The low Bp can be a side effect and it occurs due to increased urination caused by the medication. This can be treated by giving her ample amount of water with salt in it (pinch of salt to 500ml water ). This will bring her Bp to normal.

Let her have a nap if she feels sleepy. Sleep disturbance is most expected side effect with deriphyllin when on for more than 5 to 6 days. Its not related to the morning dosing. The sleep cycle will return to normal once the medication is stopped

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Please do ask if any doubts.
If you are satisfied with the answer, please rate the same with five stars and close.

If in future you need to consult me, you can approach me directly through the below link.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-raju-a-t/60137

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T