What causes drowsiness, fatigue and dry throat after eating raw rice?

Question
I have developed the habit of eating raw rice for the past two years.. two to five times daily especially after food.I have skin allergy and digestive problems....drowsiness, fatigue and dry throat..

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It has damaging effect on the gastrointestinal tract

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Please be informed that raw rice contains unboiled starch but unless starch is boiled, it is very hard for the body to digest. Thus, you are putting your body at stress. Furthermore, this raw rice is hard and therefore difficult to pass through the gastrointestinal tract. This absorbs water and may lead to dehydration. This is the likely cause that you are developing dry throat and drowsiness. Fatigue and drowsiness could also be due to lack of energy since the raw rice gets poorly digested. Allergic manifestations too are not unlikely.

In short, the only way out is to give up taking raw rice irrespective of how much you like it. The other option is to accept the ill effects that you have described, and more. I do not suppose that is a good option. Therefore stopping your raw rice intake seems to be a more rational option.

As of now, take plenty of ORS (oral rehydration solution) and that should take care of the issue for now.

Let me know if I could help further.