What causes drowsiness after having Prednisone?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: AM having a contrast procedure ,and doctor prescribe2days of prednisone before it. the drug is making me sleep all the time.Did the pharma give me the wrong drug?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to side effect of Prednisolone

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
The XXXXXXX used for contrast imaging studies can sometimes produce an allergic reaction. If you are allergic to anything like shell fish, the risk of developing allergy to the contast material is more. The doctor prescribed Prednisolone to reduce your risk for an allergic reaction.
Steroids like Prednisolone can affect mood and psycho emotional factors. It is possible that your sleepiness can be related to this effect.
So it's probable that your sleepiness is due to the side effects of Prednisolone rather than due to the mistake of the pharmacist in giving you the wrong medicine. once you finish your course, you ought to get back to your previous state. So don't worry.
Best wishes,
Dr Noble Zachariah
Dr. Noble Zachariah