What causes droopy eyelids while having Parkinson's disease?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I am a 75 year old male and have Parkinsons for the last 7 years. I've had my eyes check by my ophthalmologist and my eyes are fine. My question is why do my eyelids feel like they want to close even though Im not tired.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be a neuromuscular problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Thanks for query,
As written by you your eye investigation are normal so In your case droopy eyelid can be suggestive of a serious conditions such as a minor stroke involving the area which controls supply to eyelids,it can also be suggestive of cancer of the nerves supplying opthalmic muscles or muscles. In some cases neurological disorders that affect the nerves or muscles of the eyes such as myasthenia gravis could also be there.
I would suggest you to consult a neurologist.
As eye examination is normal it could be related to neurology.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana